Paul Ryan is getting ready to release another budget.
Like the first one the House Budget chairman introduced two years ago, it will contain a provision to move people from Medicare to a voucher for private health care, starting with those who are younger than 55 today.
Bloomberg’s Brian Faler reports today that Ryan’s plan “will reach the politically important milestone of erasing the government’s deficit.”
“The plan, which aides say will be unveiled March 12, will show how Republicans would eliminate the budget shortfall by 2023, when it is projected to total $978 billion. That’s far more ambitious than previous iterations of Ryan’s tax-and-spending plans, the last of which wouldn’t have balanced the government’s books until 2040.”
The additional cuts that would be needed are “modest,” he said today in a meeting with reporters.
“You won’t see big surprises in our budget,” said Ryan, a Wisconsin Republican who served as Mitt Romney’s running mate in the 2012 presidential election. “We can show the country that this is an achievable goal, a goal that we all ought to share, a goal that helps us prevent a debt crisis, a goal that helps our economy.”
The Pew Research Center reminds us of something else today:
Ryan’s Medicare plan, surveyed during the midst of that 2012 campaign, had an approval rating of 34 percent.
Paul Ryan saying new budget plan will have only ‘modest’ changes. Last year, just 34% favored his Medicare proposal.pewrsr.ch/Nezm3z
— Carroll Doherty (@CarrollDoherty) March 6, 2013