That’s the number of U.S. House districts in which Asians account for at least 10 percent of the population.
Democrats represent 44 of those districts, underscoring that party’s strength with a demographic group that was the fast-growing race or ethnic group in 2012, according to the Census Bureau.
Asians accounted for 3 percent of voters in the 2012 election and backed President Barack Obama over Republican challenger Mitt Romney by 73 percent to 26 percent, according to a national exit poll.
Bloomberg’s John McCormick reported this week on Republican outreach to Asian voters, focusing on a politically competitive Las Vegas-area district held by Republican Joe Heck.
Rep. Ed Royce of California, chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee, is co-hosting a July 17 “Meetup” event in Washington to promote outreach to Korean-American leaders. Royce’s district in and around Fullerton and Yorba Linda is more than 28 percent Asian, the biggest share of any district held by a Republican.
About 67 percent of Asians live in the 201 districts that Democrats hold. The other 33 percent live in 234 Republican-held districts.