“If you want real inspiration and real direction in terms of what to wear, you turn to the world’s political leaders,” British Ambassador Peter Westmacott said last night at a party celebrating the British fashion industry.
Rep. Jackie Speier, California Democrat, and Reggie Love, President Barack Obama’s former personal aide, laughed along as Westamacott offered a tongue-in-cheek tutorial based on the fashion faux pas of world leaders including Obama. Reps from Turnbull & Asser, Stella McCartney and Burberry also attended the party at Westmacott’s residence on Washington’s Embassy Row.
- The waist on your jeans should be as high as possible.
- Stand out from the crowd, so you don’t look the same as everyone else in the G-8 Summit group photo.
- Keep your wardrobe current. You’ve got to look cool when you’re hanging out with the president at Camp David.
- Always dress appropriately for the occasion, especially when you might be called upon to play ping-pong or shoot hoops on a state visit.
- If you’ve got it, flaunt it, like Vladimir Putin who is famous for showing off his shirtless torso.
— Peter Westmacott (@PeterWestmacott) September 13, 2013